A Healthy Chicken Recipe With A Rainbow Of Root Vegetables
Instead of limiting yourself to a simple white baked potato to compliment your roasted chicken, try including more color, flavor and nutrients to your dish with a healthy assortment of root vegetables.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serving Size: 2 chicken thighs & 2 cups of vegetables
Servings per batch: 6
12 chicken thighs
1 baseball sized rutabaga
2 medium sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use 1/4 cup olive oil to grease a large roasting pan such as a Granite Ware 18-Inch Covered Oval Roaster.
- Wash a place chicken thighs over bottom of pan.
- Wash, peel and slice all root vegetables.
- Lay in layers over chicken.
- Pour 1/4 cup olive oil over the top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook with lid on for one hour until vegetables are tender.
- Remove lid and brown until edges of vegetables start to crisp.
- Serve while hot. Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- The prep time for this healthy recipe can be drastically reduced by using 2 bags of frozen root vegetable blend that is already diced.
- Olive oil is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs are a good source of lean protein.
- Rutabagas are a rich source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins C and E.
- Parsnips are high in fiber, vitamin C and folate.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and B6.
- Carrots are a good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.
- Beets are very low in cholesterol and saturated fat. They are a good source of fiber, folate, potassium, manganese, Vitamins C and B6, iron and magnesium.
- Purple potatoes are full of the antioxidant anthocyanin along with potassium and vitamin C.