Cheesy Eggs Florentine Recipe With A Healthy Twist
Instead of using the traditional toast and wheat based cream sauce for Eggs Florentine, try this healthy alternative with cheese and avocado boats. You’ll be amazed at how rich and delicious this healthy recipe is.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 2 eggs/1 avocado
Servings per batch: 2
5 ounces fresh spinach
- Fill a quart size saucepan, halfway with water, add a pinch of salt and turn on high to boil.
- While you’re waiting for the water to boil, wash the avocados. Cut in half, peel, and remove pits. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, add olive oil at medium heat. Rinse spinach and add immediately to oiled pan.
- Cover with lid and cook until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Give it a few shakes to settle the spinach.
- Cock the lid slightly to drain. Add the cheese and a pinch or two of salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover again until cheese melts, stir and then divide onto plates.
- Place avocado halves on top of spinach.
- Turn boiling water off, and after the bubbles stop, very carefully drop the eggs into the hot water to poach. As soon as tops of eggs turn white, very carefully remove eggs with slotted spoon.
- Place one poached egg in each avocado boat, and sprinkle with a little more cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Tip: When you shop at Whole Foods Market for your fresh ingredients, Amazon Prime members save money.
- This recipe is gluten free, low carb and packed with nutrients.
- Spinach is considered a superfood, because it is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Eggs are a complete protein and high in Omega 3.
- Avocados are another superfood that contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals and are high in healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
- Eating cheese increases saliva production and raises the pH level in your mouth which helps reduce cavity causing acids. The calcium and phosphate in cheese also naturally strengthen your teeth.
- Cheese is also a good source of protein.
- You can rub the excess olive oil from the measuring spoon into your hands as a moisturizer.
- Avocados that are fresh and at room temperature work best with this healthy nutritious recipe.