Simple Naturally Healthy Gluten Free Baked Apple Recipe
For a simple, naturally healthy alternative to apple pie, try this baked apple recipe. It’s gluten free, dairy free and oh so yummy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 1 apple
Servings per batch: 4
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use coconut oil to grease a 13 inch roasting pan. If you use your clean fingers to do this, you can rub the excess oil into your hands as a moisturizer.
- Wash and core apples. Place in pan.
- Mix nuts, cranberries and dates in a bowl.
- Spoon mixture into core of apples. Dump remaining mixture on top of apples.
- Drizzle with honey, and sprinkle on cinnamon.
- Pour water into bottom of pan.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes or until apples are soft when cut. Use a knife to test.
- Ladle out each apple into a bowl along with some of the mixture that is in the pan, and enjoy!
- This healthy recipe is gluten free and can be modified very easily by using different kinds of nuts or dried fruits.
- For people with nut allergies, substitute quick oats or ground seeds instead of the nuts.
- Dates are a nutrient dense superfood and come dried and chopped with no added sugar.
- Honey is a more natural substitute for other sweeteners.
- Eating a traditional chunk of cheddar cheese afterward increases saliva production and raises the pH level in your mouth which helps reduce cavity causing acids. The calcium and phosphate in cheese also naturally strengthen your teeth.
- Golden Delicious and Winesap Stamen apples were used for this recipe, but you can use your favorite.
- If you want to prepare the baked apples in advance or save some for later, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat until warm at 325° F, or in an air fryer or microwave.